mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE
close buttonClose Menu
close buttonClose Menu
close buttonClose Menu

CALL
NOW!

​206-388-5667

SCHEDULE SERVICE

Should I Get a Dehumidifier for my Home?

by VitalStorm Content on March 29, 2018

Figuring out the perfect balance for humidity levels in your home can be a tricky business. Air that is too dry can leave you with cracked lips and itchy skin, while air that is too moist can leave you scrubbing away mold spores. If you are experiencing problems with excessive moisture in your home, a dehumidifier could be the perfect solution.

At Blue Flame Heating & Air Conditioning, we always recommend that our customers who suffer from excessive allergies or begin to see mold and mildew in their homes consider using a dehumidifier. Here are a few reasons why a dehumidifier might be right for your home.

Allergy Relief

If you suffer from allergies, it is probably no surprise to hear that many allergens thrive in humid environments. An increase in the moisture in the air is the perfect breeding ground for mold, mildew, and dust mites. Decreasing the moisture in the air with a dehumidifier may help ease some of your allergy symptoms and improve your IAQ.

Quiet Motors

Contrary to what you might assume, modern dehumidifiers can run silently in the background without disrupting the peace and quiet of your home.

Better Smells

With moisture comes the subtle presence of mildew, and with mildew comes a musty smell. Removing the moisture that contributes to mildew can also improve the smell of your house.

Fresher Foods

Sometimes the moisture levels in the air are a major contributing factor to the shelf life of your groceries. Breads and cereals can stay fresh longer without going stale when there is less moisture present in the air.

Lower Utility Bills

A dehumidifier can equip your air conditioner to run more efficiently, which will lower the overall cost of utilities from your HVAC unit.

If you’re still on the fence about the necessity of a dehumidifier, make sure you check your home over thoroughly for warning signs of too much moisture:

Window Condensation

Foggy glass does more than obstruct your view: it also serves as a clear indicator that there is too much moisture building up in your house.

Musty Smells

Does your basement or garage smell a bit funky? That might mean mold has crept inside and found a hiding place. Before you dismiss a musty smell as a minor inconvenience, check thoroughly for the presence of mold.

Water Mark Stains

It might sound obvious, but it’s important to pay attention to any odd moisture stains in your home, even if they happened before you moved in. Recurring issues with moisture in those areas might indicate the need for humidity level correction.

Visible Mold Spots

If you find mold of any sort visible in your home, it is definitely time to invest in a dehumidifier (after you scrub it off of course). Cleaning the area thoroughly and treating the air inside your home can help you prevent the mold from returning.

If you are interested in purchasing a dehumidifier to better control the moisture levels in your home, Blue Flame can help. Call us at (206) 388-5667 and speak to a member of our team.